USN Retired Auxiliaries and Other Ships (see also current listing)
USS McKee AS-41 (1981-1999) Emory S. Land Class LOA 645′ TDISP 23,000 tons
Fulton Class LOA 530′ TDISP 9,400 tons (7, all scrapped)
USS Sperry AS-12 (1944-1982) adapted 1961 to service nuclear ballistic missile submarines. Laid up Suisun Bay 1982-2011. Scrapped 2011
USS Puget Sound AD-38 (1968-1996) Samuel Gompers Class LOA 643′ TDISP 20,500 tons Laid up in Philadelphia Inactive Ship Facility scrapped 2008.
Submarine Rescue Ships (ASR)
Pigeon Class LOA 251′ TDISP 5,000 tons (2 retired and scrapped ca 2009) innovative catamaran-hulled design.
USS Pigeon ASR-21 (1973-1992) scrapped 2012
USS Ortolan ASR-22 (1973-1995) scrapped 2009
Converted Ocean Liners
USS West Point AP-23 (Originally SS America- United States Lines) (1939) LOA 723′ TDISP 35,000 tons wartime USS West Point (1941-1946). Long postwar career as America, and many other names. As SS American Star wrecked on way to scrapping, 1994, Playa de Garcey, Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands. For many years the wreck-site was an attraction, with the front half of the vessel gradually deteriorating. In 2007 the bows collapsed into the sea and little remains visible.
Barrett Class Transport LOA 534′ TDISP 17,600 tons
USNS Upshur T-AP-198 (1952 – 1973) constructed 1951 as SS President Hayes. After retirement from USNS became TS State of Maine, used as training vessel at Maine and Massachusetts maritime academies until 1995, when it became a US Coast Guard Fire Training Vessel with ex-USS Shadwell Little Sand Island Mobile Bay AB removed 2010-2011 scrapped Brownsville TX
P2 Transport types
USNS General Edwin D. Patrick T-AP-124 (Originally Admiral C.F. Hughes – 1945) LOA 609′ TDISP 17,000 tons in reserve fleet Suisun Bay 1968-2010, scrapped 2010 and General John S. Pope T-AP-110 (1943) LOA 623′ TDISP 17,900 tons in reserve fleet Suisun Bay 1970-2010 scrapped 2010
Haven Class LOA 522′ TDISP 15,200 tons (6, 1 lost in collision, rest scrapped)
USS Sanctuary AH-17 (1945 – 1975) laid up until 1989, sold to civilian use, attempts to convert to an addiction recovery center were mired in legal battles over cost of docking the vessel in Baltimore, MD, eventually sold for scrapping in Brownsville TX, 2011
Merchant ships used by USN
USNS Observation Island T-AGM-23 (1958-2014) LOA 564′ TDISP 17,000 tons Originally launched as a Mariner Class merchant ship for the US Maritime Commission in 1953. Extensively converted to an experimental platform for ballistic missile research, and then to a missile range instrumentation ship (similar to Russian ships in this role). Conducted Polaris missile launch tests in 1959-1960. After transfer to the Military Sealift Command, the ship was fitted with the massive Cobra Judy radar, on a rotating mount near the stern, to help verify strategic arms limitation treaties by scanning for ballistic missile launches.
Liberty Ships LOA 442′ TDISP 14,400 tons (2710 built – 3 survive as museum ships and one is a docked building)
USNS Albert M. Boe T-AKV-6 (1945) last Liberty Ship built. Commissioned in the USN 1950-1954. Disposed sold 1964 as SS Kodiak Star fish cannery ship. Now a landlocked building, Kodiak AL, in same role for Trident Seafoods.
SS Arthur M. Huddel (1943) Converted to a fuel pipe carrier, veteran of Operation Pluto, Normandy operations, 1944. After the War she was reactivated as a cable layer and involved in the construction of the Distant Early Warning (DEW) Line, and again later reactivated by US Navy as a barge to help lay the SOSUS sonar surveillance network in the Atlantic. After a long period in reserve at James River, where she contributed parts for the SS John W. Brown reconstruction, she was transferred to Greece as a museum ship in 2008.SS Red Oak Victory (1944-1969) commissioned into the USN as USS Red Oak Victory (AK-235) At Suisun Bay inactive fleet 1969-1998, when she was acquired for a museum ship in Richmond CA.