Royal Navy Sloops, Corvettes, and Patrol Vessels
Black Swan Class LOA 299′ TDISP 1,300 tons (37 built over to types, 1 remaining in Egypt)
ex-HMS Whimbrel U-29 (1943) transferred to Egypt as El Malek Farouq in 1949, renamed Tariq 1954, Egyptian Navy is currently investigating a sale back to Britain (Liverpool) for preservation as a museum ship.
Grimsby Class LOA 266′ TDISP 1,400 tons (13 built, 1 preserved)
HMS Wellington U-65 (1934 – 1947) and became HQ ship
Anchusa Class LOA 262′ TDISP 1,300 tons (28 retired, 1 preserved)
HMS President ex-HMS Saxifrage “Q-ship” (1918) Anti-submarine vessel disguised to look like a merchant ship. Now HQMS President, stationary ship 1922-2016 Victoria Embankment, Thames, reserve drill ship and gunnery training ship, then sold to civilian interests as a conference center. Was moved for construction of a new tunnel. Currently is in Chatham Dockyard, with plans to return her to the Thames.
Offshore Patrol Vessels
River Class Patrol Vessel LOA 260′ (Batch 1) to 296′ (Batch 2) TDISP ca. 2,000 tons (11 active)
Castle Class OPV LOA 246′ TDISP 1,420 tons (1981-2010) transferred to Bangladesh 2010.
Harbour Defence Motor Launch / Seaward Defence Motor Launch LOA 72′ TDISP 54 tons (ca. 370 built, very few remain) wooden hulled, often of mahogany. Intended for Anti-Submarine defence of the approaches to harbours, but used more widely.
HDML ML-1387 (1943-1968) later HMS Medusa. Museum ship with HMS Medusa Trust, operating out of Gosport. Postwar she served as a surveying ship, and then was sold privately, until refurbished and preserved in 2003. Her long and colourful history is explored at the website of the Trust.